Sunday, January 20, 2008

Megasquirt II




The car's running a little rich, and the previous owner dynoed it at only 85 horsepower. The Volkswagen 2L "ABA" code engine that's in it is a boat anchor and a turd, but it's rated at around 105HP, so something's up. So, I thought I'd tweak a few things by controlling the fuel and timing on a separate computer. I've been fooling around with the DIY Megasquirt system for about 6 or 7 years, it's really come a long way. I soldered together the most recent incarnation about a year ago, I've only ever run it on the desk, never in a vehicle.
Tonight I uploaded the latest Megasquirt firmware, upgraded the "Megatune" tuning software so that it could see it. I'll need to do a little more reading, but I have a wiring harness already made up for the car, so (fingers crossed) it should be a pretty easy installation.
There's a local dyno day in 5 weeks, I'll do my best to get it going by then.

No comments: