Sunday, October 18, 2009

Engine Removal




Almost done with this, had some trouble with the drivers side motor mount (which is a misnomer - it's on the transmission)so I quit for the evening. All the ancillary hoses, mechanical pieces and wiring have been disconnected and the engine hoist is in position. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it one night this week.

Noticed a few casualties when I was pulling stuff off. One of the CV boots is torn, and one of the power steering hoses is scuffed and was weeping fluid. Both should be cheap fixes, might have to take the hose to a local hydraulic hose shop if I can't find a spare.

The other observation was how gross everything is: a thick layer of grime / grease / fluid covers everything. If I can clean it up while I'm in there it will making working on it much more pleasant.

I remain torn on upgrading this and that "while I'm in there". Polyurethane steering rack bushings, underdrive pulleys etc etc. I think I'll just get the basics done this go 'round. If I fell inspired later on, maybe I'll pull the new engine and go for broke.

No comments: