Saturday, September 12, 2009

Daily Maintenance

The Saab is right at 52K, I jumped the gun and performed the 60K maintenance. New air filters (engine and cabin), new synthetic lube (transmission and rear diff), new spark plugs. I had Daniel bleed the brakes and change the coolant. I also installed new front brake pads (Hawk HPS) since the factory ones were wafer thin. New tires (Hankook RS-2s) are waiting in the basement.

All that's left is the fuel filter, which is on it's way from California.

And now a note about Subaru OEM pricing - yikes! $56 for 4 of the NGK "Laser Platinum" spark plugs and $65 for the OEM fuel filter is steep.

The spark plugs on the drivers side were a bear to replace - very little room between the engine and the frame rail - maybe a hand's width. I had to go to Sears to grab a new socket extension - the 3" was too short and the 6" too long. While I was there I also picked up a 2 drawer center section for my rolling tool chest - it was missing the keys and had a superficial scratch, but at 50% off who's complaining?

The old plugs had corroded on the tips maybe 2/1000" (measured with feeler gauges), which is nothing. Still, with the new plugs in the car seemed to idle smoother and run "slightly" better, so maybe there's something to it.

No comments: