
I scored a new steering wheel for my birthday (and an intercooler too, but I'm saving that for later). $24 including shipping for the steering wheel, $75 for the adaptor to mount it. That doesnt' quite add up, but maybe I can explain it by saying the wheel was a Chinese ebay knock off, and the adaptor is a MOMO unit.

Last weekend I had a few hours to pull the dashboard. I've (hopefully) fixed the speedometer,fuel and coolant teperature gauges, and I'm in the process of wiring in all the bits and bobs for the Megasquirt-Extra ECU.
After I had pulled the dash, I looked down at the brake pedal and the light bulb went on (pun intended). The brake pedal has a plunger type momentary switch attached to it's mounting bracket - when the brake pedal is pressed, the switch closes, which grounds the circuit. I picked up an identical switch at the junkyard for $2 and with a little bit of Dremel work mounted an identical circuit on the clutch pedal. That's VAG OEM dontcha know :) Should work great for launch control, I guess I won't be needing the microswitch I wrote about in an earlier blog.

Clutch pedal return spring was yesterday. It's a small spring that's been broken for over a year (the clutch has worked fine in the interim), it make the clutch pedal *SNAP* back with authority when you release it. I needed the clutch pedal to fully release for my momentary switch to engage the launch control. Quite a job, at least it was until I dismantled a large part of the clutch pedal mechanism. Lost the spring and clip that holds it on about half a dozen times, had to hunt around for it each time with a magnet on a stick. Anyhoo, my ribs and bruised from lying between the drivers seat and the pedals and my hands are cut from the edges of sharp sheet metal, but it's done! And doggone it, afterwards I found a DIY solution:

Anyway, things are moving along. Not quite as quickly as I had planned, but that's always the case.
No comments:
Post a Comment